Saturday, May 31, 2014

Wanderer's Journal #37

      Two weeks passed and the escalating state of things left us facing the point of no return. My grandfather had developed doubts, but not enough to try and fix things on his own. Marie-Lynn refused to talk to me most days, and when we did speak, it would be about how I should do something. This is the end of our story.
      The last decade we spent together was in her world, the night before I murdered her. When I had gone to bed that night, cradling my grandfather's sheathed blade, I expected darkness and then another miserable morning. But instead I opened my eyes to find the beautiful Marie-Lynn standing over me, her tears hitting my face.
      “I thought you didn't want me here.” I grumbled as I sat up and looked around. Everything was grey except for Marie-Lynn and I. All of the life and color that once overflowed from Marie-Lynn was gone, washed away by sorrow and fear.
      “Of course I wanted you here!” She replied between heavy sobs. “I just thought that you loved me enough to try and save us! I don't want to die as a victim of association! I wanted to grow old with you! But now, that feels impossible...”
      At that moment, I had been the closest I had ever been to trying to save the two of us. But even then I was too afraid to admit fault, to take the all too necessary risk. I never ended up replying to Marie-Lynn's words. After a long paused filled by wet sobbing, I got to my feet, took Marie-Lynn's hand, and reintroduced her to the Wanderer. Our final decade was one spent wandering together, one last time.
      “Do you know why I wander?” I asked near the end of the first year. She shook her head. I looked to the cloudy sky and lost myself within the answer. “Some people read books to find answers. Some experiment. I wander. It helps me think, but it also teaches me the world, and allows me to search it.”
      “Then why are we wandering now? What answer do you think this worlds still holds?” She questioned, much to my pleasure. I stopped and turned to face her. I ran a hand through her flaming auburn hair and caressed her face.
      “Before I met you, I was by no means a wanderer. All of the answers I sought could be obtained by meditation. But then you came along and ignited something within me. You became the spark in my chest, the one that lights the dark path ahead of me. When you left, all I could do is search for you. You were the answer I was looking for. But once I found you, or rather once you found me, I realized that you are a complete mystery. We're wandering now because you are the most profound, most important, question that I have ever known.”
      “And you want us to figure me out together?” Marie-Lynn continued.
      I shook my head. “No, I want to get lost in your infinities with you.” That was the last sweet thing I ever said to her.
      Morning came upon us like a falling bomb. We felt rushed, afraid, and overcame with grief. Something within us knew that it was the end. Perhaps it was the high nerves that led me to do as I did, but there are more likely influences. That day, we ate breakfast with my grandfather. He noticed his sheathed blade attached to my belt. He looked up from its hilt, met my gaze, and then returned to his meal in silence. Marie-Lynn nudged me in an attempt to get me to speak to him. I excused myself and went into the garden in search of solace. The flowers were wilted, withered, and lifeless. I tried to lift a rose's head, only to have its petals fall away in silent death. A cold breeze chilled me to my pounding heart. Footsteps approached.
      “You can't run from this forever. Soon it will catch you... and me, and that will be the end of us. Please listen to reason.” Marie-Lynn began her final plead. I touched another flower. Its petals fell away. “The three of us are like those flowers. We can be saved, but it is a choice that must be made. The slightest touch in the wrong direction and we will fall apart. Please don't do this to us...” She trailed off. For all the energy she had invested in trying to convince me, she was running out of strength. But there was one final reserve she was willing to use and I saw it on the verge of being unleashed.
      I spoke first. “These flowers can't be saved. It's been too long. Their time is spent.”
      She slapped me hard as tears began to well up in her eyes, slowly slipping away one by one. There was a silent stand-off. And then it all came out, the final burst. “You know what? I'm sick of your cowardice! You say you love me often enough that it almost seems true, but your actions, or lack of, make me think otherwise!”
      I couldn't stand the accusations. My knees grew weak and my mind turned feral. She kept going and every time she claimed that I didn't love her brought me closer and closer to the edge. In an instant, I drew the blade and thrust forward.
      “You don't love-” Marie-Lynn had been screaming as her life became fleeting.
      “Shut up!” I howled in agony as the two of us fell to the ground, one dead, the other dead inside.
      “Jesse! What have you done?” My grandfather cried out as he found us in the gardens.
      My vision was blurry as I caressed her face one last time, drew the blade from her chest, and ran.
      The story ends here. Now I can finally bid goodbye to this wretched world I have created. Now I may lie in my grave and greet Death like a saviour. Marie-Lynn, I am truly sorry. Perhaps in another world we may have our happy ending. But now, I go to eternal Death.
THE END
-Zero
   

No comments:

Post a Comment