Friday, August 4, 2017

If you could just believe me (poem)

Inspired by: "Live Long Enough to Become the Hero" by Nathan Sharp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the past,
I've let the darkness win,
given into sorrow and despair,
and let my own fictions rule.

I have loved inadequately,
broken hearts that didn't need to be broken.
I have gotten lost,
and abandoned those who mattered to me.

I have been imperfect,
bad at fighting my own monsters,
but I have learned from my mistakes
and the guilty burden of it drives me.

I know it's reasonable to doubt me,
but if you could just believe in me,
you could see me as who I've become,
someone who has tamed the monsters inside.

I know it's difficult,
but put your faith in me,
and I will never fall to those monsters -
I will never fail you.

I know my past is haunting,
but like a sapling that becomes a tree,
I was once weak and easily carried away,
but now I am deeply rooted and sturdy.

-Zero

3 comments:

  1. The Coronas - Faith in fate song may be another way to get inspired by the poem's intentions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1JqHFWeMg0

    It is I think just a simplistic interpretation of mine, but although the inspiring music that you have shared to us has some great lyrics, it's Genre may not quite fit with the poem's mood.

    Some pieces from the process may be missing too, since that we don't know what actually you have learnt from these past "mistakes". What is after the "What Ever"? It seems lacking some substances.

    It is as if the poem was writting as a request since that I don't see the author in that poem. Where is he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right about the music's genre not quite fitting the poem's mood. In all honesty, I often am more inspired by the lyrics as opposed to the mood when it comes to songs so that may explain it.

      And I believe you're right in saying that the poem is lacking some substances, some concrete presence. This generality and lack of substance is likely why you don't see the author in the poem. It seems my desire to keep it relatively short has backfired on me. Thank you for your feedback!

      Delete
  2. Starting with the «muse-song», the anger (also in the lyrics, trust me!) is reflected in the constant «you-ing»; whereas in the song from «The Coronas», the lyrics speak from the «I»; not so much as the me-myself-and-I, but rather in the attitude of accepting the responsibility in the past's errors. As far as the poem is concerned, for one, part of the answer could be found on one of your previous poems, «Cautious of Love Poetry», with regards of representations one can make. On the other hand, challenging doubt is not enough when one whips himself/herself with guilt in order to win someone's attention. One can sincerely want to win someone's heart, but is sincerity up in the agenda?

    ReplyDelete