Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Wanderer's Journal #36

      I thought I was trapped within Marie-Lynn's subconscious, and I hated to admit it. So, when she asked why I couldn't return, I lied. The next few nights in reality were dreamless for me. I did not want to return to the horror that was her subconscious. But for all the horror that I could have experienced in a lifetime, I could never find myself tormented as she lay beside me peacefully. On those nights that I could not sleep, and Marie-Lynn did, I contented myself with her soft presence. There was something about having her beside me that made all the problems of life seem so insignificant. Death didn't matter anymore. Its power was nothing in comparison to the occasional mumbling of Marie-Lynn. If she hadn't been there, I would have wandered about through the darkness alone. Instead, I found myself unwilling to leave her side. All the wandering in the world could never give me nearly as much solace as lying beside her did in those few nights. But it was destined to end.
      The morning after those three sleepless nights, Marie-Lynn found me in the gardens. It was with worried curiosity that she asked, “where'd you go, Jesse? I don't feel your presence in my world anymore.” She paused. “I know we don't talk much, but I still miss you.”
      I almost told her the truth right there, but fear held me back. “I haven't been sleeping well. I'm afraid of dreams.” I hadn't lied yet. She questioned why. My lie followed. “I'm afraid of losing grip on reality.”
      The conversation ended with these words, spoken by Marie-Lynn. “I miss you. Come back.”
      It was then that I started to question whether or not I could go back. What could I have gone back to? One final moment? One final kiss? Was it worth it? The correct answer was “yes”. One moment with Marie-Lynn is worth an eternity of suffering.
      Our second to last decade together began with a hesitant entry. I feared the imaged that had woken me last and expected to find it staring me down upon my arrival. But, as I learned that night, the subconscious is a place without restraint, without borders, and without a set state of being. When I entered her world, I was greeted by the image of a vast forest. From its canopy, a great maple tree stuck out to the sky. The forest looked vibrant and exuberant, but I was afraid of what might lay within. I looked at my surroundings. The wall was gone and the Great Expanse stretched out behind me. I thought about Marie-Lynn's words, and then entered the lush forest.
      It was like entering into a parallel universe, one of gods and a war between the forces of creation and destruction. My movements no longer felt my own as I wandered through Marie-Lynn's woods of apparent sanctuary. Perhaps in one version of our lives we have a happy ending. Maybe in her subconscious' projection we might have survived. I followed an old broken sidewalk until it finished mysteriously before a thick underbrush. I pushed through it and found myself in a meadow with waist-high grass. It was then that I saw her in the distance, watching from behind a tree.
      “Marie-Lynn?” I called out as I went towards her. Her hazel eyes flashed with fire, and the forest was turned to ash. It became almost impossible to see, but I pressed on. As the ash settled, she came into view. She wore a long green flowing dress and her auburn hair went down to her belly button. Marie-Lynn's face was empty of emotion. All of her passion, her ferocity, and her affection, seemed to be drained from her. My oldest friend was becoming a stranger to me.
      “Marie-Lynn?” I repeated. She didn't react. I moved towards her in a slow careful manner. I reached out for her and touched her face. She jumped back and horror came over her.
      “Beware the child of fire! The wanderer! The coward! He will flee his responsibilities and lead you to your death! For all the power he has been given, the coward holds his blade!” her words sounded prophetic and true. A part of me already understood what would happen. I took a step back in shock, and then a blade, much like the one my grandfather had given me, pierced her chest and ended her life. Marie-Lynn fell to the ground and my mirror image stood behind her with tears on his cheeks. He burst into flames and I ran. I dove into the Great Expanse and swam until the other world rescued me.
      Marie-Lynn, my Marie-Lynn, stood on the shore and watched me as I approached. She greeted me with a worried smile. “You look terrified. What did you see?”
      “Myself.” I answered as I turned to face the Great Expanse that had become protection from the uncontrollable. She pressed me for more answers, but I couldn't give them. Eventually she gave up and left me to stare across the rescuing ocean.
      When reality took us again, we were forced into each other's presences. “Things are getting worse here...” She muttered as she stared at the image of impending war on the television. Her hazel eyes drifted to meet my cowardly gaze. “Please talk to your grandfather, Jesse. It's the only chance we've got at a happy ending.”
      “My love,” I said softly as I fought my boiling frustration, “there is no such thing as a happy ending in this world. We're doomed to death, to isolation, to the loneliness of our finitude.”
      Her first reaction to my hopeless words was a slap, followed by strong words. “No wonder your world is closed off. You've lost sight of the imagination that allowed you to see the world as it truly is. You've been blinded by your own fear...”
      “You want to know what I saw?” I screamed with teary eyes. “I saw myself kill you! I stood and watched as my grandfather's blade pierced your heart! I saw you fall over, revealing my bloody hands! If this is the way the world looks, then I'd much rather be blind!”
      I had stirred Marie-Lynn's fiery passion. “It's exactly what the world will look like, Jesse! You will be my murderer unless you do something!”
      “I love you... Please stop asking me to do this. I can't. Let's just hide in your unreality! We could still have centuries together that way!”
      But nothing I could have said would have convinced her to forget our precarious situation in reality. We were reaching our end. She knew it, and so did I. An idea occurred to her, one that should have convinced me to act.
      “No!” She yelled defiantly. “My world is no longer open to you! Get out of mine and stay out! Reality is your new home!”


-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment