Saturday, January 25, 2014

Wanderer's Journal #31

       In the distance I see a graveyard, empty with the souls of the betrayed. It is familiar, although in disarray. Are these ruins around me of a city I have known before? In my telling of my story, have I led myself back to familiar ground? If so, then why does this graveyard stand as the last reminder of location? Ruins tell their own stories, but they are not telling me mine.
       After I murdered Marie-Lynn, I ran for my own life. The world crumbled around me far faster than I had expected. I escaped the law, but found myself convicted of murder and sentenced to exile. The plague of wandering that I suffer now was once willful and wanted. The past I attempted to escape owns and rules the world. It does not need to capture to punish me. Why this graveyard?
       My curiosity seeks to destroy me. It leads me in and makes me read the stones. Surprisingly, most have been left untouched. The decrepit remains of flowers litter the ground. Hers seems to radiate with the flame's light. It can't be true. It has been so long, but her name is just as clear as ever. “Marie-Lynn Goulet – Killed by the man who loved her most.” Why did I have to come here? I can barely stand anymore. The story I had been telling has had its end written, and I want to leave, but I collapse instead. I never meant for this to happen. I should have never gone looking for her. Maybe then, I would not have found her grave.
       And then, I see my name etched on the stone next to it. “Jesse Goulet – The Wanderer – Lost to his own hand to wander forever in purgatory.” The grave had to be empty. I may not be completely alive, but I am by no means dead. Still, I have to check. Six feet of dirt dug out by my bare hands. They ache, but the coffin has to open. It is empty, all except for a note.
       “My grandson, one day you will return to this place and see your own grave. I had your death faked, knowing that you would punish yourself enough for your actions. I offer you now a place to rest. I do not know how long it has been, but old wanderers tend to appear in graveyards. You can rest with her by your side. I know your parents have disowned you for your actions, but I will not so quickly give up on you. I read your papers. You love for her is simply unreal. I forgive you, if you promise to forgive yourself. Take care, and sleep well.”
       I'll not rest yet. I have to tell our story before I can fade into nothing. I do not seek sympathy for my actions. I seek release from the storyteller in my head. I want to make Marie-Lynn real again, through the unreal. But my wandering ends here. I can walk no further, and I cannot bear to be apart from her anymore. Here I will complete our story, up until my own death.
       That day, years ago on the bed that she shared with him, she confessed to me that she too was trapped in the unreal. I had done that to her. In fact, I was the cause of all the worst things that happened to her. As she slept beside me, my mind processed the past, with the car crash at the forefront of it all. I was tired though, and overwhelmed by guilt. My eyes shut on their own, and color filled the darkness. I think it was my world attempting to exist once more, but the colors faded and the darkness came again. I heard her voice, coming through the abyss. No words made sense to me until my eyes opened.
       Marie-Lynn was above me. I could not see past her, for her flaming hair contained me within her grasp. Her face looked playful and happy, forgetfulness in her hazel eyes. “Good morning, sleepy-head. How did you sleep?” I think I heard love in her tone. I did not understand why. I was utterly confused.
       “Marie-Lynn... Am I still asleep?” I needed to know. She gave me a gentle shake of the head. Some hair on her left was brought up and revealed that the room had not changed. But my question told her that I had not gone to my world. Otherwise, she knew, I would have no doubts.
       She jumped to her feet, making me sit up to see her. There was excitement in her step, and the pictures of him that had been on the wall the night before were gone. “Come on! Get up! There's breakfast waiting for you downstairs!” It was then that she burst out of the room, leaving me to my confusion. I could not enjoy that strange happiness of hers. I could not make sense of it. Did she forget all about him and return to loving me? The grief was not present. A reason presented itself to my mind. She might have lived ten years overnight. I had to find out.
       “Marie-Lynn, did you have a nice long dream last night?” My question was posed as I joined her at the dinner table. She had waited for me and very little excitement was lost upon hearing the concern in my voice.
       “I didn't want to waste ten years getting over him after last night. I have a world of my own.” For some reason, I only grew curious. We began eating. There was a bit of silence on the side.
       “Tell me about it.”
-Zero
  

No comments:

Post a Comment