Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Wanderer's Journal #30

       I wish I had known his name. He was Marie-Lynn's promise to reality, and it took him from her. I had only known of his existence for a short time, and yet, his death seemed sudden to me. He was the promise of change that needed to happen, and his narrative lacked the climax. It had ended before its time. That was the tragedy. It would have been better had I been crushed by on-coming traffic instead. My words were recorded, and my story told.
       I held Marie-Lynn on the altar for as long as the world would allow me. She did not cry; she wept. It took all of her to do so, but it exhausted her. As the audience showed themselves out, I felt her body weakening. Even her flaming hair dimmed, tamed by sorrow. Then, after some time, she tried to stand. I supported her, but she pushed me away. Her father caught her as she fell once more. She accepted his help, and in a matter of minutes, she was gone. I felt joy creeping up on me, and I wondered why my love was so selfish. His death brought me hope, but I did not deserve it. I was a monster of love. My mind, as twisted as it was, would not allow such sick pleasure in the pain of Marie-Lynn. As much as I wanted to not let her disappear again, I forced myself to let her go. But I could not control other people.
       Her father returned to me, the final bystander in the dim cathedral. He informed me of his position in her life. We shook hands, and then he asked me to join him, on Marie-Lynn's request. My mind wept for my soul. It imagined it to be decaying, just as Marie-Lynn's fiance was. Those dreadful and wonderful words of hers were spoken between sobs of sorrow. Why did she want me near? She had no idea of the secret wishes of mine. Instead of rejecting me like the curse I was, she embraced the sick man of the unreal. Had my love been less selfish, I might have refused her request. Perhaps if I had, I would not be writing this tale now.
       Upon entering the five-seat car, I found Marie-Lynn latching onto me for strength, as I have done to her in times past and in times to come. We sat alone in the back as her father drove us to the unknown destination in the distance. My very energy seemed to leave me, as if absorbed by the flame-haired woman. I held her and supported her, even though I felt the urge to kiss her in my beating chest. The story between us would not be laid to rest before her, but I would have tried if I was aware. But the only thing I was aware of was the threatening potential of her pain. In a moment, I could have destroyed morality by doing nothing less than bringing a dream into reality. My will held its own, only stalling the inevitable.
       The trip felt long, although the clocks claimed almost no time had passed at all. I wanted to leave, to pull the dead man back and take his place below. That wish would not go granted, as well as lost to the abyss once Marie-Lynn spoke. “Thank you, Jesse.” It was as I led her to her front door. I did not falter, but I wanted to reply in sweet affection. I did not speak a word. It was stage-fright when it mattered most.
       Her father waved us off as we entered the duplex. The inside was filled with warm colours, and the yellowed lights made it as if I could see the warmth. The dresser in the hallway had spruce wood frames containing portraits of him and her on top of it. They were undeniably happy in those frozen moments. The large white gown covered the floor in bits and pieces as Marie-Lynn discovered some energy. Her movements terrified me for they were full of fury, ripping, tearing, and destroying the tainted elegance. She would never be married. I was afraid, not to look, but to look away.
       When she was finished, and the wedding dress lay in shards about the hall, she lost that passion, and crumbled like a statue of dust. I rushed to aid her, but her bare body made me uneasy. My eyes were betraying me for I became, if only for a moment, more occupied with her figure than her well-being. In his absence, my demons were surfacing, and the distraught Marie-Lynn was at their mercy. I forced them away and helped her up. We found ourselves sitting on her bed not long after. This was not my suggestion. She refused to go anywhere else.
       There were no words to be spoken, and so we became the flesh of silence, and its heart was the inability to cope. It had only escalated as Marie-Lynn's tears stopped their march. The full weight of the situation was upon her, turning her face to marble. She became a breathing statue, seemingly incapable of emotion. But there was no expressing her pain. No amount of weeping or howling could ever come close to the intensity of her grief. Her happy ending had been in sight. It had been promised. But the promise had been broken by blood, and it seeped into her, twisting her future into one of sorrow with only one escape.
       “Somehow... I knew...” Her words shattered the silence like broken shards of glass puncturing the stillness of a lake. “When I saw you...” The lake rippled until all that remained was the memory, and the shards stored within. The stillness returned as a facade, claiming nothing was different. The truth disagreed. “I thought... not to invite you... but...” Her eyes grew distant, as if carried to the other side. “I needed to...”
       “But why?” The words outran me and so disregarded the restraint I had been exercising. It set a standard of disobedience.
       “I... wanted to know... if I belonged... in reality...” Marie-Lynn confessed before shutting her eyes and lying down. It was not long before she fell into sleep, leaving me alone in the all-too real room. I covered her with the image of a lion, and then lost myself to the stories painted on the walls. Words had been left behind among a horde of photographs, telling their tale. I could never bring myself to remember his face. My mind was too focused on the damaged I had inflicted on Marie-Lynn's mind.
       Like me, she was trapped by the unreal.
-Zero
   

No comments:

Post a Comment