Sunday, December 9, 2012

Wanderer's Journal #23

      Often I wonder what use there is in telling this story. It is ridden with bad thoughts and hopeless loves. The end is known all too well. What surprise might await the reader? I suppose the surprise has long been dead within me. I suppose these entries are really just for me to reflect upon so that I might have a way to fill the eternity I have been given as punishment. I will be honest now. The conflict between Mili and Marie-Lynn was short-lived. The night-eyed girl's statement that “the innocent cannot survive much longer” may have been true, but Marie-Lynn had lost her innocence long before then. Such separate lives these two girls led. They were only connected by me. I created the horror of their conflict. I built their hatreds higher and higher until even I could not climb it. This entertained me a little, I think. But alas, reality was bound to come find me soon again. In this case, the reality was that their contact was limited. It was so limited that they nearly forgot about each other completely once a larger distance was created. Marie-Lynn was leaving.

      I asked her to stay but she told me that it was out of her control. We were still teenagers back then, so it seemed quite probable. The night following her departure, I found myself within my own world once more. This time it was not as colorful as it had been once. It was made of stone, or so it seemed. Everything seemed solid and as unmoving as could be. The trees were made of jade in their entirety. The grass did not exist any more. I wandered about this hard and unforgiving world for some time, pondering about its meaning. I climbed mountains and walked over oceans, as they were made of sapphire. It took me some time to come across that which had saved me before. There in front of me it raged like the great Achilles. It was bound to nothing and never ceased to move. Its very presence seemed to contradict the world around it. I stumbled toward it, recognizing it instantly. I tried to place my hand upon it, but it would not sit still. This caused for a smile to break across my face. I followed the flame's movements as it danced across the stone world. I wondered where it might stop but then realized that it never would. There was a certain bliss in knowing its constant nature. As time wore on in my world, I slowly found myself dancing within the flame. I felt it engulf me happily. Once I was fully emerged in it, the world suddenly changed. It all became black for a moment. Then it burst into life. The trees became like those in reality and the water turned back into a liquid. A warm breeze blew from the south. The world had reawakened. The fire then disappeared, having served its purpose. The clouds began to form in the clear summer skies. I saw words in them, but for some reason could not read them. It only took a moment for them to be spoken to me instead.

      “I have to go.” Marie-Lynn's voice said from behind me. I spun around and found myself face to face with her. She appeared saddened by her own words. I placed a hand on her shoulder and nodded.

      “If nothing ever changed, everything would be set in stone forever. We would have never met.” I replied knowingly. She smiled in return and quickly vanished. I reached out into the air where she once stood. I felt nothing but empty space. The Marie-Lynn I saw in that dream was fabricated by my own mind. I was familiar with the manner in which it creates people and recognized it right away. I smiled with a broken hope and turned back around. The sun was setting on the horizon. The times were changing. I opened my hand behind me and created a comfortable chair out of nothing. I then promptly sat down in it. A snake slithered up to me. It was carrying an apple with it.

      “Where did she go?” It hissed in the most friendly manner that it could muster. I pointed in a random direction and sent it on its way. It would never find Eve.

      It was then that I realized that there was a distance between Marie-Lynn and I that I could not traverse in the real world. It was a distance in the heart, I suppose. But I would rather argue that it was a distance due to my world. We had become so comfortable spending years together apart from all else that we had forgotten what it meant to be alive in reality. It was never as pleasant as we made it seem while we were dreaming. But that is all we were doing. It all amounted to nothing in the end. Well that is not entirely true. It led to her death. Even now as I wander the broken land of men, I find myself thinking that the real downfall of our relationship was not in what we called reality, but rather in where we spent most of our time. We were subjected to the dream world for far too long to understand what it meant to have a love like ours in a world like that. It would not last. It did not last.

      I awoke the next morning with tears in my eyes. I wiped them away quickly and got ready to leave the house. I refused to remain there. I wanted to wander about the world. One could say I was looking for Marie-Lynn. But I knew where she was. Not exactly, but I had an idea. She told me the name of the town she was going to. She assured me it wasn't large, but that it was far away. I recognized the name and knew she was telling the truth. Maybe I might have walked there if I had hope for the future, but I had grown hopeless after a long night. So I wandered the streets of the town that we had shared for a time. I had nothing else to do with my time. I revisited the spot where Mili and Marie-Lynn had clashed so strongly. I visited where she once lived. But I could not visit where she did live. The walk was too long for someone so broken down. The world did not seem quite the same as it was the day before. It was empty. People who walked by me had blank expressions. They seemed emotionless. The beauty in the world was sucked from it violently, as I no longer smiled when I saw the squirrels of the area chasing after each other. I had always found it to seem quite playful in nature and took pleasure in watching them run about. But after Marie-Lynn left, I saw their chases for what they really were. They were battling over food, dominance, and territory. There was nothing pleasurable in their chasing for anyone anymore. The sun shined too bright that day as well. It did not take me long to return home. I locked myself up in my room and blocked out all the light I could.

      I just wanted to be left alone in the darkness forever.

-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment