Monday, December 24, 2012

Another Year Gone

     One year ago today, I wrote about the different characters that had been so dominant in the year, and in my life, until that point. I would like to do that again this year, but I have very little to say on the matter. Simply put, there are only one or two new characters that have appeared.
     The first is, of course, Miss Swan, who I had met at my campsite in Eganville while on a vacation of a sort. She has been the subject of many poems since early August. Also, in the November just past, I began a novel titled "A Plead To Iris" which focuses heavily on Miss Swan herself. I find it strange to say that I have reached the end of what I have written about her, but at the same time, I find it quite alright.
    The second is my dear Isabel, who I had written about before hand. However, Isabel, or Izzy if you will, has reached the point where she and I are far too distant from how we used to be. Thus, all of the inspiration that I have that involves her is completely fictional, as it should be I suppose. It is also a way for me to test William Wordsworth's idea about the "emotion recollected in tranquility" that is a skill of the poet, according to him. It worked well, I suppose, but I have not finished the most recent, however. The most recent story in which Isabel shows up is "Kuna Zero: A Wanderer's Tale", so you can easily imagine why it might be taking a while.
     These two, along with Malika, Brianna, and Katherine, have led me to question the very nature of my relationships with them. These relationships vary from ex-lovers to nearly absolute strangers. It is only in recent days, however, that I have begun to consider other relationships that I have had. Thus, I will tell you now of the button-nosed stranger and the other Queen which makes an appearance in my most recent poem, which I may one day share with you.
    The button-nosed stranger is simply that. She is a girl of about my age that I would see on the bus some mornings. She is quite beautiful. I have never spoken to her, nor do I ever intend to. She served a purpose in my life that was entirely based upon her distance. It was her who led me to consider the nature of the relationship one has with absolute strangers. In a strange way, it helped me deal with the loneliness I find myself often suffering from. This is because I found strangers to be absolutely wonderful in how they do not create an illusion of friendship or of closeness, but rather have no problem in showing and recognizing the distance between themselves and another. It is beautiful.
     The other Queen, however, was a good friend of mine at some point. Oh I was quite fond of her. She was intelligent and kind, to say the least. She and I ceased our friendship a day or two before I met dear Miss Swan. This sudden shift allowed me to not bother my mind with that which I had just lost. But I knew that one day I would have to face it. Thus, I decided to write a poem (currently titled "The Slave and His Queen") about the two of us. It was with this poem that I came to the conclusion that all that can change cannot last in the form that it is in. Therefore, by extension, I realized that no relationship can last through the test of time unless it is unchanging in nature. However, such relationships are based upon pure indisputable facts. For example, one's mother will always be one's mother. This relationship is based on something fundamentally unchanging about a person, much unlike friendships which, as I have discovered, can be subjected and torn apart by arguments or mistakes. For the benefit of this theory, if you have something that refutes it, please leave it in a comment below so that we may better define the nature of a relationship.
     Earlier I stated that there were only one or two new characters that were dominant in the year and it seems to be quite untrue at this point. Perhaps it is better to say that only one or two new characters have dominated my writing over the past year, as the button-nosed stranger and the other Queen, as I call them, are only written about in one poem each. The button-nosed stranger is referred to in my poem "My Strangers" however. These characters only played a part in determining my theory about relationships that is quickly discussed above. I do not doubt that I may write about them again. But I believe I have gone on for long enough. I will leave a poem here for your entertainment. It is a shorter poem for me. I wish you a good holiday, for those who might be off work, and a happy new year. Until next time!

A Story Told

A story told is a story heard,
Whether it is written,
Or spoken,
Or recited.

Whether it be a novel,
Or a short story,
Or a poem.

Whether it is true,
Or false,
It does not matter.

A story will always be a story,
And the means of how it is told,
Will never change that,
Nor will the identity of the teller
Remove the identity of the story.

-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment