Thursday, July 4, 2013

Reluctance to Leave (poem)


Sitting here,
At my desk.
Tired and weary.
Working through the night,
Whispering in the morning.

The bed calls to me,
But I dare not come,
Or else my dreams
Will be of the empty chair,
Waiting for me to fill.

Could I not sleep here?
It may be physically burdening,
But my mind will flourish.
This workstation of mine
Deserves my attention.

Within it lie
Years of work,
Both of mine,
And of others.
Lessons scribbled on paper,
And retold in prose.
Stories brought to life,
Once,
And twice,
And thrice.

Why might I want to leave them?
To rest and procrastinate my duty?
It is here I belong,
In this chair,
With all I have done and learned.

I would rather write,
With reckless abandon,
Than sleep,
With pointless abandon.
I would rather write this.

Word after word may form,
On the paper below my pen,
Expressing a new world,
That some may only dream of.

But I am not asleep.

-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment