Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Particular Dream-Interpretation

The Dream:   She has entered my dreams, the button-nosed stranger has. Dear Juliette was put into danger. Pirates of a sort were after her and quite angry. I was standing behind her when they shot her at point-blank range in the mouth (upper lip). She died, and yet did not. I had to imagine the damage done to her face. It would have been a wretched sight. But she was completely unharmed. She looked completely unchanged. I fought off the pirates via thumb wrestling that resulted in several broken hands. [I have yet to deduct the meaning of that. Please post suggestions below.] I succeeded in holding them off and devised a plan to escape. I grabbed a canoe from the backyard, but couldn't find any paddles. My neighbour from across the street had plenty. I told Juliette to bring the canoe to the Ottawa river (down the street, essentially) while I grabbed paddles. The last thing I saw before waking up was an image of her grabbing the canoe's nose with one hand as if to drag it.

     Sigmund Freud suggests that dreams fulfill a wish of some sort, whether it is suppressed or not. That will be the method that I interpret this dream with.

     I will begin with her death. I did not feel grief and, according to Freud, that suggests that I do not actually wish for the person's death but is rather metaphoric instead. Recently, I have been using dear Juliette as a base for an ideal character. I have never actually met her. In fact, I have only ever seen her on the bus and at the bus stop. The French and English poem posted the other day was completely fictional and serves as an example for how easy idealizing can be brought into reality. Therefore, Juliette in the dream can be the ideal Juliette character, the one who is fictional by nature. This fictional nature is the reason why she does not actually die, or get injured by the gunshot. By being fictional, the rules of reality do not apply. In fact, the imagining of the realistic turnout shows how I had thought that to happen, despite her fictional nature. However, this is proved untrue later, when she is totally unharmed and very much alive. But that does not strike me as odd in the dream, hence representing the accepting of the fictional nature over reality. The fictional survives regardless of what has happened in reality.
     Now for the rest of the dream where we make an escape, or at least begin to. It bears a common characteristic of dreams, how it deviates from reality. First of all, how does one fight off pirates by thumb wrestling? And how does one intend on escaping pirates in a canoe? Lastly, why was the pirate's boat on land (a detail I forgot to mention)? This all sounds as if it came out of some movie or book. It sounds fictional and that is where I think the meaning lies. It begins more or less realistic. The pirate ship may be a long shot, but they did exist at one point. In fact pirates still exist now. I do not remember what it looks like, so it very well may be more modern pirates. Regardless, the bond with reality is broken when Juliette is shot in the mouth. That is when the wish-fulfillment comes into play, but I will talk about that later. There is still something to be worked with.
     Lastly, the image of her about to drag the canoe shows a willingness to escape with me. The area we are in is familiar to me. It is part of my every day life. It is my house and my street. It is my city, country, continent, and my planet. There is a chance that this escape really represents the leaving of this realistic universe to join her in a world of pure imagination, a world of fiction.
     Now I feel that I am at the point to reach a conclusion about the wish being fulfilled. It is clear that the wish pertains to the fictional nature of Juliette and a complete escape from reality. The dream fulfills the wish of breaking the fictional Juliette (as a figurehead for fictional characters as a whole) from reality and then entering a world where nothing needs to follow the rules of reality, a world of pure imagination.

     And so that concludes my dream interpretation. It has made me seriously consider the nature of the fictional characters that I have created before by using a base in reality, such as Zilia who was based on Malika. Once the person has been established as a fictional character, it is necessary to create a division between them and the real them, seeing as they are not the same (as if they were, the character would not be fictional).
     I believe that will be enough for today. I wish that you have a wonderful day. Until next time,

-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment