Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Wanderer's Journal #24

      But not even darkness can last forever.
      I couldn't help but to close my eyes in reality, only to escape to my world unwillingly. It was an ever changing place, subject only to the influence of my consciousness and to my daring and dangerous subconscious. Unluckily for me, my subconscious was ruling in this particular instance.

      While my conscious mind was wishing for permanent isolation in darkness, my subconscious revealed my true wishes. Marie-Lynn's voice echoed through the dark world. It was distant, like the light was. But then the great sun of my mind, the light-bulb of beautiful ideas, rose from behind the overwhelming white-tipped mountains of doubt, rooted deep in my very soul. But they never could stop the sun from rising, as much as they would have liked to.

      The light spread across the land and touched my eyes, causing them to water in sudden sheer happiness. I turned around and face d a land of endless possibilities. It was a world of my own understanding and control. What more could any person want? Yet even with all of the possibilities for happiness, I could not attain it. It was all so pointless without Marie-Lynn, the auburn haired girl who could never escape the confines of my lonely heart. I saw her hazel eyes whenever I would look in the water, as it perfectly mirrored me, but without her, I couldn't even recognize myself. I missed, with great desperation, her soft touch and characteristic cute freckles that rested nicely on her face. I always thought them to amplify her beauty. Sometimes it was a beauty only I could see. Imperfection was ironically criticized in those days. Too often were people reduced to one attribute, normally negative. Marie-Lynn was one of many victims.

      I yearned for her, but my subconscious refused to conjure her illusion. Thus, I was subjected to a lonely existence wandering a world of unmatched and unrecognized beauty. And so I wandered, much like I do now, with no purpose but to carry the crazed hope that I might come across my own atonement or, even better, Marie-Lynn. Back then, it was possible. Occasionally I forced myself to hear her voice again, just to keep going on as if I was in the Library of Babel, searching for a book to answer my existence. Perhaps this is that book.

      Her voice came to me one night, just before dawn. It was much like the first night of that dream-year, except it was closer. It was real.

      "Jesse?" She had the voice of an all too real teenage girl, one that was in a state of a lonely confusion. I spun around in shock and searched the darkness with my blinded eyes. A knowledge of her actual existence entered my mind. The strange light-bulb sun broke through a space between the distant towering mountains of doubt. The light landed on the auburn haired girl and for a moment, it seemed as if her hair was made of fire.

      "Are you real?" I asked, overwhelmed by the mountains. She came towards me. Her movement was slow at first but then all at once. She wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tight.

      "What is real in this world?" She replied with an impressive cleverness, still attached to my body. In the back of my mind, I knew this was actually her and that the time together was limited. How strange it was for me to conceive that a year was considered a long time to others. Of course, I only experienced two extra centuries at the very least for each year of my life in comparison to others.

      "You can't stay forever." I said after some silence. As I spoke, the sun suddenly burst and vanished into nothingness. We were left in complete and utter darkness.

      "Neither can you." The girl answered knowingly. Despite my incredible ability to experience millenniums more than others, my time was also limited. It still is, I think. Unless, that is, there is a god who has decided to curse me with immortality as punishment for my sins.

      It took a moment for her words to reignite the world. It was magnificent. In the darkness, there was that same old fire, except the size of a candle flame. It snaked its way across the grass, leaving a trial of deep red flames behind it. The trail spread out and engulfed nearby plants as if to burn them. Marie-Lynn came to my side to watch. The flames, burning with great passion, spread across the land and engulfed all, including us. They didn't burn us, but were warm to the touch. The warmth was like that of another human being. For a moment, I felt like a superhero. Then the flames froze in time. Slowly, they were absorbed into the world, Marie-Lynn, and I. Everything began to radiate a light appropriate to its essence. It was breath-taking. The grass glowed the most pure green one could ever imagine. The leaves of the bushes and trees were the same. All of the fruits radiated vibrant oranges, reds, and blues from the branches upon which they hung. Even I radiated a light. As strange as it might sound, it was purple, just like Marie-Lynn's. The sky turned white as the various essences expressed themselves in the world. Slowly, the colors all came together as one and engulfed the world in a blinding white light.

      It was the perfect expression of how Marie-Lynn made me feel.

-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment