Monday, February 24, 2014

Wanderer's Journal #33

      I call it a revolution, but as I've said before, it was actually a war on the drug trade. There were protests to make the substances legal, which would have allowed for more regulation, but those were only the beginning of it. My grandfather had just come into power, but he was head-strong in his pursuit of a drug-free country. He intensified punishments involving illegal substances, and ordered for the closing of all drug-help institutions. Those who were recovering from previous addictions were rounded up and placed into the country's worst prisons. They started dying from withdrawal. Everyone knew. The people grew furious and no smooth talking could tame them. But not all of this felt distant from me. I was angry as well.
      The whole thing just seemed unnecessary. As tainted as the drug users might have seemed, they were still human. I think he forgot this, for he treated them as one might treat contaminants in water. It was a cleansing he was attempting, but with all of our anger, he would need something far beyond an army. The uprisings began in the capital, and spread all over the country. At first it was peaceful protests, but it quickly turned into riots. Government officials were attacked, kidnapped, and murdered publicly. Some of them turned against him as well. Everything seemed to be falling apart, except for Marie-Lynn and I.
      With all of the chaos surrounding us, our lives should have been more affected, but our firm grasp on the unreal kept us vibrant. My world had long been abandoned, leaving my people, my creations, to continue without guidance from a higher being. From night to night, provided that I could sleep, I would join Marie-Lynn in her world. It is foolish to say that we never fought. Somehow when we did, the beauty and tranquillity of her world was amplified, although I was not always welcome. When I was, I would wander along the Great Expanse, as we called it. It was the sublime ocean of her imagination. In times of strife, it was always smooth, except for the raging storm in the distance that tore through the sky and sea relentlessly. The shore consisted of grass instead of sand because Marie-Lynn did not care for the shifting sands. The grass along the shore was soft on my feet and was always far greener than the other side. While I wandered the outskirts, Marie-Lynn stayed inland, in the meadows and gardens of unreality, avoiding our meeting. But I wandered along the sea as if I yearned to brave it on a boat to explore the world beyond even Marie-Lynn's consciousness. I imagined that my world possessed the same, but it was beyond me.
      One day though, I grew tired of wandering. With all of my decades wandering the outer-reaches of her known world, this was the first I felt tired. By the Great Expanse I sat and pondered the change in my own condition. But I was overwhelmed by the serenity of that day. My eyes could see as far as they ever could, but they still found nothing on the horizon. She was beyond me, and the storms had calmed. I could have returned to her, but I wished to swim into her depths. Respect kept me rooted. The decade passed with little change, except for night and day.
      The next morning, we were far from silent. “I thought you might have returned.” Her first words to me in over ten years were soft.
      “Have you ever wondered what lay beyond the Great Expanse?” I replied, with my eyes still fixed on the unworldly distance.
      “I'm afraid of it. It's beyond my control. We could get lost forever in it.”
      “Then let's get lost together!” I breathed life into the idea, but the breath soon found its end in Marie-Lynn's disagreement.
      “If that's your form of proposing, I'm disappointed. If you want to go beyond so much, do it in your own world.” I had not wanted it to end there, but the flame-haired woman had seared the bridge to the other side. I never ceased my yearning to explore a world beyond our control. We could change our worlds as we imagined, and yet, the mystical beauty was lacking. For all our powers to create, it cannot create the magical nature of beauty. I knew that it lay across the Great Expanse.
      I returned to Marie-Lynn that night with a yearning to create. But I cared not for imagining it into unreality. No, I wanted to know the labour. Marie-Lynn moved the earth so that the land I would create upon overlooked the Great Expanse. I knew that it was so that we may view the mystic beauty of the independent ocean.
      Marie-Lynn and I got to work. From a tree that repeatedly regrew, we collected mounds of lumber that we carried to the peak ourselves. As I formed the logs into planks, tools, and the like, Marie-Lynn dug through the earth in search of metals we might also use. It took us nearly the full decade in order to complete the little house. It was all of one room that could fit a single bed, a small table, and two accompanying chairs. While it was not very large and was incredibly basic in construction, it felt like a home for us. For all our minds could create, it could not force a bond upon the created and the creator.
      I had ceased my wandering, but time dictated that soon I would begin again.
-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment