Tuesday, December 4, 2018

If I'm being honest (poem)


I thought I had it all figured out
when I was only fifteen.
I just had to find the right girl.
She was out there somewhere.

She would love me unconditionally
and our love would shape our world.
Our first meeting would be a thundercrash
and our first kiss would be a parade.

I thought then I would love myself,
and my world of grey returned to light.
Holding my breath for her, I choked,
and desperation clasped around my neck.

Could you love this?
A grey so desperate, it's suffocating,
empty promises of a future of light
from a talking shadow.

Do you think they planned to fall,
those past loves of mine?
If I'm being honest,
I think I tripped them.

Deep in my grey pit,
I hoped we would fly out,
but that hope had a cost,
because no love gives humans wings.

There was only one way out:
painfully scale the rocky walls.
I was waiting for a hero to save me,
but no one could carry that burden.

If I'm being honest,
I thought I had it all figured out:
chained to a cave wall
I lectured on the world I had never seen.

-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment