Friday, August 17, 2018

The storm waits for no one (poem)

The storm does not wait for sailors to be ready:
it strikes when the winds and rains agree.
An unprepared sailor is bound to be cast overboard
into the unforgiving maw of the storm.
The waves will become sea serpents around him,
and entangle him below the water's surface.

And here I find myself drowning,
grasping for air where there is none.
What else can I do but dream of the surface
as the ocean overtakes my desperate lungs?
No seas will part for me,
and these serpents will never release me.
I am bound to this spot,
to this sinking fate.

But no ship is manned alone:
no person exists as an island.
Should one of the whole be cast overboard,
the whole seeks to save him.
The storm may be uncaring for the unprepared,
but the crew will always seek to save their own.

-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment