Monday, August 27, 2018

A drop of oil (poem)

The rain poured down that night,
and I stood alone on the bridge,
watching the river's waters crash onto a boulder,
enveloping its grey surface in a wet embrace.
My tears felt at home there alone amongst the waters.
None could separate them from the rain,
none except for me as I wept.

Water is both feared and revered,
the giver and the taker of life,
welcome all across the world's surface.
To be one with it is to belong,
and that night I was an alien to the world,
too strange to be welcome,
a drop of oil in the seas of society.

But I could not change myself into a human
just as oil could never become water.
Some things can never be changed.
And so, for all my tears, I remained,
a blessing far more than a burden
although my eyes could not see this:
everyone feels like an alien sometimes.

-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment