Wednesday, October 25, 2017

After Ever After (poem)

So much time spent in fantasy,
in dreams of happily ever after,
my words have forgotten reality,
engage it like a stranger.

I put my pen to paper,
but everything comes out wrong,
completely inadequate,
as if all I can truly write are lies.

I think the fearful value courage,
and the dishonest value truth,
but for all my efforts to attain it,
I remain fearful and fictional.

A child of fire made of paper and ink
constantly striving to return,
but terrified of catching fire,
so he plays pretend instead.

I worry that despite my efforts
to depart from my fictions,
I will always be a stranger here,
in this world we call reality.

-Zero

1 comment:

  1. After two months of "meh" poems, this one should be considered as a new reference in terms of technique, depthness, authenticity and artistic attitude. Without a doubt, this one is worth commenting.

    Firstly, the poet does not write a linear and a temporal reflection on "[What is] After Ever After", but more like what lies Beyond Ever After.

    "The fictional world ends here, and the real world lies out somewhere." - Danganronpa V3 Maki Harukawa's dialogue.

    It seems that the poem intends to share a truth with us. One's apparent obsession about setups cannot prevent other's inevitable involvement. This means that, "beyond" meaning in truths and lies (even if it's fiction), it has the power to change the world. We read this in the poem.

    ReplyDelete