Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Break Up (poem)

You forgot me.
That's how we broke up.
We said 3 o'clock,
But you didn't show.

I texted you,
Laughing at your lateness,
And you would reply
Three hours later.

“I'm sorry,”
The text read,
“But this is over.
I've moved on...”

Three hours is a long time
To wait for nothing.
I bought your favorite drink
Only to watch it freeze in my grasp.

I had been cheery,
Happy just to see you,
To hold your hand,
To make you smile.

An hour in
I was worried about us.
In the second hour,
I was worried about you.

My imagination was painful,
Taking me to your grave,
Eyes filled with tears
And mind filled with regret.

Your text was a nightmare,
A demon of mockery,
Laughing at my foolishness
For thinking it could last.

I haven't had coffee since.
It upsets my very essence,
Brings me back to that moment
When you said goodbye.


-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment