Thursday, November 20, 2014

Arguing with a Spectre (short fiction)

      Ah look at this pathetic boy sitting at his desk in silence! Look how Love tests him so, granting him her wonderful feeling but taking away her touch! Let's go down to this poor soul to laugh at him further!
      “You there, poet-boy-thing! Why do you bother yourself so much with Love? Clearly she is only out to torment you!”
      “And who are you, spectre looming above? You laugh at me and mock my being, but you cannot understand it.”
      “Understand it? Child, I know far more than you! If I am so wrong, then why must you love three different women, and in three different ways at that? If you understand Love so well, then why has she split your affections into three impossible ways?”
      Look how he falls to silence and turns back to his desk! Look how he fails to give a reply! Look how he admits defeat! How pathetic! If I were human, I might have compassion for his troubled state! But then again, compassion is one of his flaws! It is the way in which Love seized him so powerfully! Had he steeled his little clay heart, he would not know these pains! Let this be a lesson to you!
      “Hey, fallen spectre! I know you remain! Your laughter causes for my bones to shiver! But I have laboured on as you proclaimed your own fabricated magnificence and righteousness, and now I have an answer for you!”
      “Then why wait? Go ahead and give it so I may remind you of your flawed logic!”
      “I can be nothing more or less than I am. To try to deny my passions is to try to deny a part of me. But that is not why I do not condemn Love for this which I suffer.”
      “You see, spectre, beings such as myself are a combination of the past, the present, and the potential for the future. Moreover, we know three loves, which have multiple variations. There is carnal love (or lust for those who wish to condemn basic human need). There is the poet's love, the spiritual and transcendental love. Then there is companionate love, the love between the closest of friends.”
      “Then why do you not condemn Love for your 'holy' trinity, child?”
      “Because my three loves are a testimony to my humanity. The first is a past lover, with whom I was once in the throes of passion, carnal love with a mix of companionate love. The second is a young lady of my present, with which I share some carnal desire, but it is mostly companionate with some spiritual love mixed in.”
      “And what of this third one? The one Love forced you to fall for before the others, and the one Love has not let you hold for much more than a month at a time. What of her? Who is she?”
      “The potentiality of the Future is determined by the combination of the Past and the Present. But she is exactly that! In the beginning, it was purely the love of the poet. I could barely touch her. But in the last month we were together, I learned how to hold her, and now I learn how to be friends with her!”
      “So if this is true, then why even bother with the other two? They are Love's unnecessary toying with human emotions!”
      “If anything, it is humanity toying with itself. After all, what determines the actions of Love, and the directions she takes, is human will. I chose to leave the Past behind me, just as I choose not to pursue the Present blindly (because I know we're lacking). Instead I learn from them, and learn to love in all three ways so that I can unite them in one pure and fulfilling love. And I know I might fail. I know Love can quickly turn to Pain. I know the potentiality is not the actuality (all things I'm sure you'd love to tell me). But it's worth trying, not matter what you, as a manifestation of my doubt and frustration, might say. You're not real anyways.”

-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment