Monday, June 8, 2015

If I Had Stayed (poem)

Four years ago, I decided to leave.
At first, it was gradual.
Two years ago, I said goodbye,
never to return again.

But what if I had stayed,
given up on my studies,
let my passion turn to dust,
and stayed with the familiar?

I left to become more,
to follow divine ambitions,
to build my own Sistine Chapel,
and I couldn't at home.

If I had stayed,
would I be starting a family
with a girl I hate more than I love,
our screaming louder than the baby's?

If I had stayed,
would three beers a day be normal,
getting drunk and high with the guys
from Wednesday to Sunday?

If I had stayed,
would home still feel empty,
or would it be full of empty things,
this girl or that girl?

If I had stayed,
would I have the thought to question it,
or would I blindly go forward,
not noticing the circular path?

I'm glad I'll never know.


-Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment